Every time we dine out, hubby would love to order Kare-Kare because it’s one of his favorite. I always wanted to try cooking this dish but I felt like it’s very difficult because I often heard a lot of comments that cooking Kare-Kare would take a lot of time.
Not until my aunt taught me how to cook Kare-Kare the easy way. She introduced me to Mama Sita’s Kare-Kare Mix (Peanut sauce). It’s one of the most important ingredient in her Kare-Kare dish. You can buy this in different grocery stores. At the back of the pack, you can read the complete recipe on how to cook Kare-Kare.
In most Kare-Kare recipes, an oxtail is a must. But if you don’t have an oxtail, you can either use any kind of meat but here at home we often buy the sliced pig’s feet.
Here’s the simple procedure:
1. Wash the meat, season with salt and boil it until tender.
2. Set aside the meat.
3. In a pan, saute garlic, onions and add the meat.
4. Open Mama Sita’s Kare-Kare Mix (Peanut Sauce) and dissolved it in hot water. You can use the water from the one you use in boiling the meat. Stir until everything is dissolved.
5. Pour the sauce into the pan, add vegetables and simmer for a few minutes.
6. Add peanut butter. This is to make your dish creamier. Other people do not anymore add peanut butter but the taste and texture is really different.
Note: There are other Kare-Kare ready to make sauce available in the market today. I have tried Del Monte Kare-Kare mix but I find it different with Mama Sita’s. I am not paid by Mama Sita in doing this post but I just find it the best for now.
Now, its time for you to cook your own version of Kare-Kare. Your spouses will surely love you more for this. Believe me! *wink-wink*