This is the first recipe I’ve tried cooking. I’ve learned to cook this in my culinary arts class. This food is good for people who don’t like to eat pork. What’s good about this is that, it is very healthy and very economical. You might want to try cooking this. Here’s the recipe:
400 g (14 oz) white fish fillet (wash the fish thoroughly)
3 cups water (for boiling)
1/2 meduim onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped spring onions
3/4 cup flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
250 ml (1 cup) oil
wooden toothpicks (optional)
For the Sweet & Sour Sauce:
100g (1/2) cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
60 ml (1/4) cup tomato ketchup
125 ml (1/2 cup vinegar
2 tbsp. cornflour dissolved in 259 ml or 1 cup of water.
1.Clean the fish fillets well, making sure to remove any remaining fish bones.
2. Put water iin a pot and bring to boil.
3. Drop fillets into water & let it cook for about 5 minutes or until flesh is slightly firm but not flaky. Remove from water.
4. Mash fillets and mix with onions, garlic, spring onions, flour, eggs, season with salt and pepper. Mix thorougly to form a smooth batter. Shape the batter into small balls.
5. Heat the oil in a wok. Put the balls in one by one making sure each ball is completely submerged in the oil for even cooking. You may have to cook the balls by batches. Cook until fish balls are lightly brown.
6. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
7. Skewer 2 fish balls into toothpicks if desired and serve with sweet and sour sauce.
You can make about 30 fish ball starters. Preparation time is about 40 minutes and the cooking time is approximately 20 minutes.
How to prepare the Sweet & Sour Sauce:
1.Mix the sugar, salt, tomato ketchup, and vinegar in a saucepan.
2.Simmer over low heat until sugar dissolves. Stir in the cornflour and water mixture.
3. Simmer, stirring, occasionally until the sauce thickens.
Remove from heat and set aside.